DollarBreak is reader-supported with the aim of becoming the ultimate practical resource for making money online. If you sign up or purchase using the links in this post, we may receive compensation. Disclosure.
Wag is a platform that connects dog owners with walkers in their area. You can manage your appointments via the app and Wag handles all payments. This allows you to focus on making new furry friends.
- On average, earn about $ 17.50 per walk
- Set your own schedule and manage your services
- Dog owners can tip you via the app
- Company donates meals to rescue dogs
- Wag takes 40% of our payments
- You’ll have to pay $ 25 for a background exam
$ 0.50 to $ 3 Average Per Survey + Branded Elite Program – Additional Points for Active Members
The average survey duration is 15 minutes and the minimum payout is $ 10
With DoorDash you can keep 100% of your customer tips
You have the freedom to choose which orders you want to take.
Earn up to $ 20 per hour (no minimum hours required)
Bonus Opportunities – You can earn $ 3 for every 5 star rating
Weekly Payments – plus an instant payout option
What is wag?
The simplest way to describe Wag is like Uber’s version of dog walking. When a pet owner needs someone to walk their dog, all they have to do is open Wag and order services.
As a dog handler, you can register and receive notifications when someone in your area needs a dog walking service.
So it’s a win-win scenario. Dog owners know that their pet is in good hands and getting the exercise they need. While you can hang out with some new furry friends, you can create a decent sideline.
Is Wag Walking Legitimate?
Wag is certainly a serious company. It has been in operation since 2015 and has received a rating of 3.8 out of 5 Trustpilot. There are numerous Wag review comments out there to support this and to compliment the platform on how easy the app is to use and how dog owners can connect with reliable and caring dog walkers.
How does Wag work?
Owners can request dog walking services via the Wag app. It also informs the owner when the hiker confirms availability. Most hikers can fulfill a request within 30 minutes of making a request.
There are three different types of Walk on Wag:
- AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE: This is for owners who need a dog walk asap.
- Once: This is to help plan a walk at some point in the future.
- Recurring: This allows owners to set a recurring schedule for a weekly walk.
Pet owners who register with Wag also receive a free locker. This allows you to access house keys when the dog owner is not at home.
The app also allows owners to leave instructions about the dog’s needs or other inclinations. During the walk, you can reassure the owner with notifications of the dog’s progress and GPS tracking.
After the walk, you’ll need to fill out a puppy report, which includes notes and a photo. You will also need to confirm that you locked the house after dropping off the dog.
While dog walking is the most popular wag service, you can also offer dog sitting or dog boarding services.
Set your schedule
The platform allows you to set your own schedule. That way, you can walk as much or as little as you want. You can connect with dog owners in your area and see the available requests when you’re ready to go.
The inquiry details:
- The desired time of the walk
- How long should it be
- The type of dog
- How far is it.
You can then choose the walks that you want to accept. These can be one-time walks, recurring, or both.
It is important to note that Wag recommends that you arrive home on time and that you wear suitable clothing and footwear. It’s a good idea to bring some poop bags in case the owner forgets to provide them. If you have any questions or the owner forgot to provide details, you can contact the owner via the app during the dog walk.
You must also take the time to fill out the testimonial after each walk. This is a great feature as the owner may not meet you face to face. It is therefore important to take notes on how the walk went.
How do you become a Wag Dog Walker?
Wag makes it easy to get started. The platform encourages hikers with experience, but as long as you are responsible and professional you can apply.
The application process begins with a questionnaire about you and your experiences. You can detail any pet sitting or dog walking experience.
You will then need to complete a series of assessments. These include:
- A quiz on safety and dog grooming. This will assess your knowledge of the correct walking techniques.
- A collar and harness test. This is a rating to test your knowledge of the types of harnesses and collars you may come across on your walks.
- Situation Assessment: This tests your ability to deal with unpredictable and varied situations. For example, how to recognize and deal with aggression.
Do a background check:
After you’ve done all of the tasks, you’ll need to do a background check. Wag charges a fee of $ 25 for this.
Set up your profile:
You can now set up your profile. You need to write a short biography and upload a professional photo. Remember that dog owners get to know you through your profile. Therefore, you need to prove your professionalism and trustworthiness.
What are the requirements to join Wag?
There are several requirements to join the Wag platform. These include:
- Age 18+
- Experience with dogs
- Access to transportation to get to workplaces
- Be in sufficient physical condition to take the walks
- Have a compatible Android or iPhone device.
How Much Do Wag Dog Walkers Make?
Wag has three basic tariffs for different walks.
- 20 minute walk: $ 9
- 30 minutes: $ 12
- 60 minutes: $ 18
In addition, you can save all your customer tips. The app encourages owners to tip. Hence, it is important to fill out the puppy reports carefully and make sure the owner is reassured about their dog’s status.
You will be paid for your services via the online payment platform. This system connects to your bank account via the app. Each week you will receive an automatic deposit for the money you make for complete hikes.
What are wagons?
While the Wag app is free to download, there are some costs involved in becoming a Wag Walker. The main fee is for the background check. That costs $ 25.
These are upfront costs, but an essential part of the application process. Wag lures dog owners onto the platform with the assurance that all strollers have been screened to ensure they are responsible and trustworthy.
In addition, Wag charges a commission of 40% on your earnings.
Wag pros and cons
- Customer tips: Wag allows you to keep 100% of your customer tips. This can make a significant difference in your wage rate.
- Flexible working hours: You can choose when to work and when to be unavailable. You can log into the app at any time to check which hiking options are available in your area.
- Pick and choose walks: You also have the flexibility to choose which walks to accept. So, if you’d rather go for one-off walks or develop a relationship with recurring walks, you can choose appropriate dates.
- Lengthy application process: With the application form, background check and multiple evaluations, the application process is quite lengthy.
- Low basic tariff: While you can keep your tip, the base wage rate is a bit low.
- Only one dog at a time: Wag recommends only walking one dog at a time. Since you need to fill out a detailed puppy report for each animal, walking more than one can be a challenge.
Dare to rover
Wag’s main competitor is rover. This is a very similar platform in that it also offers dog walks and pet sitting. The main difference between Wag and Rover is that Rover lets you decide how many dogs you can run at the same time. This makes it easier to scale your dog outing business. If you have the opportunity, you can walk multiple dogs to maximize your hourly rate. This is not an option at Wag.
In addition, Rover allows you to set your own tariffs. While you need to be competitive, it will also increase your earning potential. The rover commission rate is also lower at 20%.
- Set your own schedule
- Set your own prices
- Earn $ 20 for a 30 minute walk
- 24/7 support including veterinary assistance
Wag vs petsitter
In contrast to Wag, Pet sitter is a self-service agency. That means you don’t have to pass any exams or a background exam. Instead, you can use this platform like a job board to find clients for dog walks or dog sitting assignments.
The website provides support and resources for dog walkers, including guides and articles. Most of the time, however, you will have to manage your own jobs.
This gives you more flexibility compared to Wag, but it can be more difficult to find customers. You can expect to make up to $ 15 an hour, which is lower than the base Wag plan.
Take on PetBacker
PetBacker is a dog walking app that doesn’t require a lot of testing to get started. This makes it easier to get started compared to Wag.
You can register on the website and list your services, including animal boarding, dog walking, and animal grooming. You can set your own prices on the website, but the average is around $ 15 an hour. Note, however, that you will have to pay a service fee of up to 25%.
One similarity to Wag is that you still need to pass a background check to sign up with PetBacker.
Is Wag worth it?
If you want to start dog running, Wag is a great option. While the sign up process can be daunting, it manages finding customers and organizing your payments. So you can concentrate on your core business; meet some furry friends and go for a walk.
Base prices aren’t the highest, but you can keep 100% of your tip. You can also choose which jobs to accept. This is a great way to build your dog walking business around your schedule and other commitments.