Biden approves extra forces to assist drawdown of personnel from Kabul

President Joe Biden speaks during a speech in the East Room of the White House in Washington on Aug.

Evelyn Hockstein | Reuters

US President Joe Biden said Saturday that he had granted additional forces to Kabul to safely withdraw the American embassy and withdraw personnel from Afghanistan.

“Based on the recommendations of our diplomatic, military, and intelligence teams, I have approved the deployment of approximately 5,000 US soldiers to ensure we have an orderly and safe withdrawal of US and other allied personnel,” said Biden, adding, it would also evacuate some Afghans who are going through a special visa program.

A U.S. defense official said, on condition of anonymity, of the 5,000 announced bids, 4,000 had previously been announced, but about 1,000 were newly registered and were from the 82nd Airborne Division.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.