13 Greatest Audiobook Narrator Jobs (How you can Turn out to be Audiobook Narrator?)
DollarBreak is reader-supported with the goal to become the ultimate practical resource for making money online. When you sign up or buy through links on this post, we may receive compensation. Disclosure.
- User-friendly interface
- There are no sign-up or other fees associated
- Get access to millions of job postings, including remote opportunities
- Creating your professional profile brings convenience into the application process
13 Best Audio Narrator Jobs
ACX is a site that connects audiobook narrators with work opportunities. There is a search function tool that shows you a number of tasks related to voice over work for businesses.
The audio files required are typically under 5 minutes in length and the work is quite varied. You may find that you’re narrating an audiobook or providing audio for a corporate training video. This is also a good site to find an agent to help you earn more money as a narrator or voiceover artist.
Voices is a leader in the audio industry. It’s a great option for anyone looking for voiceover work.
Creating a Voices account is simple. Input your information and you can connect with potential clients and submit auditions.
You can also sign up for the Plus account which costs $24.99 per month. This allows you to download your auditions for collaboration opportunities and get access to priority customer service and featured jobs.
Voices users can earn anywhere from $100 up to $1,500 per complete project.
Upwork is one of the largest online platforms for work and a good source of audio narrator jobs.
Set up a profile to attract potential clients. You can display examples of your work and start bidding on jobs that interest you.
Once you find something interesting, you can submit a proposal by spending “Connects” that you purchase through the site.
You can set your own rates, but it’s important to be competitive. After you agree to a project the funds go into escrow. When you complete the work the client gets 14 days to evaluate the audio before the money is released automatically. A client can release the funds at any time if they are happy but in reality many clients forget to do this. If you want to build a reputation for high quality audio narration work Upwork is a great option.
- Enables you to work from anywhere in the world
- Upwork ensures you get paid for the work you’ve done
- Career growth opportunity – the more projects you complete the more opportunities you’ll get
- You get to set your own rates
4. People Per Hour
PeoplePerHour uses an AI program to match clients with providers precisely based on a clearly defined skill set. A client inputs the project details, the AI analyzes it and then chooses a creative that can complete the work.
This process helps to stream the recruitment process, but your profile must be accurate or the AI cannot understand your individual strengths and weaknesses.
5. Brilliance Audio
Brilliance Audio is a leader in audiobook publishing. The company has been around since 1984 and aims to improve the listening experience of audiobook consumers.
This company is always keen to hire both new and more experienced narrators to work on their projects.
Brilliance Audio encourages their narrators to practice around 6-7 hours each day reading aloud and record the performance.
This improves the narrators, acting talents, diction, consistency, positive energy and delivery.
If you want to work full time in audio narration Brilliance Audio is a great place to find a position.
Bunny Studio is a platform that offers voice acting jobs with over 28,000 actors listed on the site. The application process is extensive and you will need to pass tests before you’re approved to work on the site.
If you’re accepted, a prospective client can see your profile and the rates that you charge.
Bunny Studio doesn’t charge a commission or subscription fees and an artist can earn $20-$100+ per hour based on their experience and the complexity of the project.
FlexJobs is a great job search site for freelancers seeking remote work opportunities. There are many job lists to search and each opportunity on the site has been researched.
This is a paid for site with useful advice and benefits to make you more successful.
The membership rates are:
- 1 Week: $6.95
- Monthly: $14.95
- Quarterly: $29.95
- Annual: $49.95
There are plenty of audio related jobs available and you can easily recoup your investment in membership if you’re active on the platform.
- FlexJobs has a rich database of jobs available for every field
- It’s particularly easy to sort and find jobs that are most suited for you
- FlexJobs guarantees that all its jobs are 100% scam-free
- You get access to its special features for free or at discounted rates (email updates, resume profiles, skills tests, etc)
Fiverr is a well known platform for freelancers seeking gigs to earn extra money. There are always voiceover and narration opportunities listed starting at only $5. But, if you decide to list your services on Fiverr, you don’t have to limit yourself to charging only $5.
You can offer your potential clients upsells and add ons that can be very lucrative.
It’s free and easy to join Fiverr. But, they do charge a 20% commission on any gigs you sell. If you’re starting out in audiobook narration and voiceover work Fiverr is a great place to start.
- You’re selling a service at the price you set and not your time
- Remain anonymous – Fiverr allows you to remain anonymous and don’t reveal any personal or contact information of yours
- Upsell opportunities. You can increase your Fiverr earnings by offering your clients upsells. E.g. you can offer less delivery time for additional payment
- Seller protection. Fiverr ensures your and your funds’ security on the platform and helps you resolve the case with fraudulent clients
Freelancer is currently the largest platform in the world for Freelancers with 45 million employers hiring people from over 247 nations!
Joining Freelancer is free. Once your profile is complete, you can start applying for audio related jobs. A Freelancer only receives payment when a client accepts a proposal and the work is complete.
The platform takes a $5 flat project fee or 10% (the greater figure) and certain services could be charged with a 20% fee.
If you work on an hourly project this could incur a 10% that covers the entire process.
A client referral incurs no fee. This encourages Freelancers to perform good work that impresses clients. All communication is conducted through the platform along with invoicing, tracking and receiving payments.
VOPlanet accepts professional voice actors with experience and pro-quality demos only.
If you have great talent, relevant experience and good references you can qualify to join the platform.
All new users must complete an application. This is reviewed by a team and you will get a decision within a couple of days. If you are accepted the membership fee is $199 per year and you can apply for jobs that interest you. As a professional site you can expect to be earning $100+ per hour.
Voice123 is one of the best places to find voice acting opportunities.
A client posts their project in the marketplace to invite applications or they can choose a voice actor directly.
Simply create your profile, add the basic information and relevant work experience.
A free membership is available to get started or you can upgrade to the paid membership which can cost up to $4,950 per year.
The price may seem steep, but there are significant benefits, including:
- Faster invite times,
- More project invites,
- Higher profile in client searches
- Improved customer support.
BunnyStudioVoice is a platform that offers voiceover services to their clients. This platform has very high standards for users that can be summarized as follows:
- Every voiceover artist must use professional grade audio equipment.
- Attention to detail is extremely important.
- All voiceover artists must adhere to strict deadlines.
- Communication must be continuous to deal with queries and absences.
This may seem overwhelming but this platform does offer some great advantages, including:
- No subscription fees,
- Access to fantastic support
- Useful feedback from a quality control team.
You can set your own rates. You receive payment for each complete project that is approved by the platform even if it’s rejected by the client!
13. Voice Crafters
Voice Crafters is a multilingual agency that’s been in operation since 2008.
This is an exclusive platform. You must have at least 5 years of professional voiceover experience to join and seek work.
Every artist working on the platform needs access to a professional grade studio and an application can be rejected if you don’t meet the guidelines.
The company expects you to turn around a 300-500 work recording within 24-48 hours. There is an upload section where you can place your demos.
What Does an Audiobook Narrator Do?
Many of us have changed our reading patterns in recent years from ebooks and physical books to audio books. This format has significant advantages because you can “read” a book on the go directly from your favorite mobile device.
An audiobook narrator converts the text to audio files and reading the text is not the only way to earn money for voice artists.
How Much You Can Earn as AudioBook Narrator?
One of the first things that people want to know about audiobook narrator jobs is the rate of pay. This is a natural question and yet it is tricky to answer because it will depend on the strength of your portfolio and your level of experience in the field. This is why it is imperative that you only submit high quality work and pay close attention to your audio quality.
When you’re starting out you will probably be seeking work on gig platforms such as Fiverr and you may not make too much money. But, you will build a solid reputation that you can take with you when you’re seeking more lucrative work.
The average rate for a non-celebrity audio narrator is $20-$33 per hour. According to the freelancing site ZipRecruiter a voice actor can earn around $76.297 per year in the U.S.
It may also be possible to earn royalties for your work. But, you would need to check the details in your audiobook narration contract.
Equipment Required for Audiobook Narrator Job
If you get serious about audio narration you can spend a lot of money on home studio equipment. But, don’t let this deter you, when you start out you can get a lot done with less money than you might imagine.
One route is to hire out a studio, but this can be expensive because a studio charges by the hour and at the beginning your work may be sporadic.
The obvious solution is to create a small and flexible studio at home, here are the basic things that you will need.
- A computer to record audio, invoice, track clients, send emails and more.
- An audio interface to convert your voice into audio files.
- A studio microphone to record your voice into the audio interface.
- A pop filter to place in front of the microphone to prevent audio spikes caused by breathing and sibilants.
- A freestanding or desktop mounted microphone stand.
- Recording software (many people start with Audacity because it’s good and free)
- A pair of studio headphones to plug into your audio interface to monitor your voice when speaking and listen back later when editing your sound files.
- A smartphone to access industry related apps and test audio files.
This may seem like a lot of equipment but if you shop smart you can get good gear at a surprising price. Pay attention to reviews and remember that you’re starting out, so you don’t need any extras right now.
How Do You Become Audio Narrator?
If you’re unfamiliar with audio narration work, you will need to practice a little before you get started. Many people have great voices but it takes work to develop them into a voice that really stands out from the crowd. Here are some things that you can try to make your narration style distinctive.
- Start by making a recording of your voice speaking and use this as your starting benchmark.
- Practice reading things out loud, the exact material doesn’t matter. Just try to read the piece and make it sound like you are not reading it at the same time.
- Learn to breathe. This may sound strange, but most people breathe from their chest and professional actors and speakers breathe from their diaphragm.
- Try to overcome any harsh regional accents or soften them a little to widen your appeal to potential clients.
- Try out small parts from your favorite books, plays or movies and try to stay in character.
- Consider taking vocal or acting lessons.
- Periodically record your practicing to see how you’ve improved.
Bear in mind that it typically takes two to six hours to record an audiobook. So, you’ll need to be prepared for long recording sessions.
Can You Make a Living Working as Audio Narrator?
Yes, audio narrator jobs can be quite lucrative, but it does take time and effort. Newbies can start on platforms such as Fiverr or Upwork.
This will help you to develop your resume, so you can qualify for professional platforms to earn higher rates.