DollarBreak is reader-supported with the goal to become the ultimate practical resource for making money online. When you sign up or buy through links on this post, we may receive compensation. Disclosure.
Best Ways to Make Money from Home
Fill Online Surveys
18 ways to earn money – fill online surveys, play games, shop online, watch videos, read emails, find bonus points, complete micro tasks and get gift cards
FlexJobs has a rich database of jobs available for every field
It’s particularly easy to sort and find jobs that are most suited for you
FlexJobs guarantees that all its jobs are 100% scam-free
Start a Blog
You can purchase hosting plans on a 1, 3, 6, 12, 24 or 36 months
Up to 60% discounts for purchasing hosting plans for more than 12 months in advance
All plans come with unlimited storage
17 Real Ways to Make Money From Home
1. Participate in Online Surveys
(Earning potential: up to $3 per survey)
The simple and best answer to the question of how to make money online for free is to participate in online surveys.
Luckily, there are a lot of survey sites for money rewarding you for providing your honest opinion. Your answers will help businesses to understand consumer interests better and also to fine-tune their products and services.
Most surveys you’ll find online take only a few minutes to complete and would earn you up to $3 each.
Make sure to take a look at more than 200 platforms offering surveys for money.
$0.50-$3 on average per survey
Average survey length is 15 min
Earn up to $20 each month
Survey times – 10 min to 20 min
Available in 40+ countries
13 extra ways to earn money
2. Start Dropshipping
(Earning potential: around 15-20% profit per product)
Starting dropshipping is one of the best ideas for making money online.
If you’re not sure what dropshipping is, it’s when you sell goods online, but you don’t have an inventory in advance. Instead, you’re paying for the product you’re selling only after a customer makes a purchase.
Once someone buys a product from your website, you should send their shipping info to the manufacturer. The manufacturer will send the product directly to your customer.
What’s in it for you?
A profit margin, which usually ranges from 15 to 20% per product.
3. Create & Sell an Online Course
(Create an online course once and sell it unlimited times)
One of the best legitimate ways to make money online is to create and sell an online course.
Regardless of the skill you have, you can create an online course around it. And the best part about selling an online course is that you record it once and can sell it unlimited times.
Selling an online course is actually one of the best passive income ideas.
Some of the best platforms through which you can sell your courses include Udemy, Teachable, and Skillshare.
- Udemy markets your courses for you
- Passive income opportunity – you create and publish your course once and it sells for unlimited times
- Leverage the base of over 35 million online learners Udemy has
- Udemy gives you insights into your target market
- One-stop-shop platform helping you create, market and sell your online courses
- Website customization opportunity – you have your custom domain and can choose your website template that matches your course look and feel
- You can offer different payment options (Stripe or PayPal account)
- Course completion certificates are offered on the Professional plan & up
- 2 ways of earning as a teacher – royalties and referrals
- Skillshare has a rich community of engaged students
- You can modify courses you’ve created for other platforms and publish them on Skillshare
- You can create short bite-sized courses (20-60 minutes) which is really easy
4. Become an Online Tutor
(Earn up to $50/hour)
Getting online tutoring jobs is a great way to make money from home, especially if you’re passionate about teaching.
Unlike creating and selling an online course, you’d be tutoring students via video call as an online tutor.
So choose a topic you’re good at – maybe it’s a certain language, mathematics, or physics – and look out for online tutoring jobs.
Magic Ears, Peerly, and Cambly are 3 of the best platforms where you can find online tutoring jobs and teach students from home.
Be aware that some platforms would require you to have specific certifications. For example, if you want to teach English, you may need a TEFL or TESOL certification.
Cambly is an example of a tutoring platform that would accept you even with no certification. What’s more, this platform even hires teens.
Magic Ears Summary
- Work from the comfort of your home
- Constant support and assistance available
- No cancellation penalty
- No doctor’s note is required for a sick leave
5. Find Freelance Jobs
(Earning potential: up to $200 per hour)
Freelancing is one of the best and popular ways to make money at home. As a freelancer, you’re basically a location-independent person who completes projects for clients.
Based on your skills, you can find tons of freelancing jobs in a wide range of industries.
The table below shows some of the best freelance jobs you can consider:
|Freelance Job||Average Pay|
|Web Developer||$30 – $180 per hour|
|UX/UI Designer||$25 – $75 per hour|
|Copywriter||$50+ per hour|
|SEO Specialist||$33 per hour|
|Video Editor||$30 – $150 per hour|
|Graphic Designer||$27 per hour|
|Cybersecurity Specialist||$200 per hour|
|Digital Marketer||$50 – $100 per hour|
Fiverr, Upwork, and Freelancer are 3 of the most popular freelancing sites you should consider signing up for.
Pro tip: Build your presence on multiple freelancing platforms to diversify and maximize your earning potential.
Rocket Dollar Summary
- Flat account fee – $15 for Core account and $30 Gold account per month
- A great variety of assets you can invest in (stocks, bonds, IRS asset class)
- Easy to start – you can set up and open an account in just 10 minutes
- No minimum initial investment
- Enables you to work from anywhere in the world
- Upwork ensures you get paid for the work you’ve done
- Career growth opportunity – the more projects you complete the more opportunities you’ll get
- You get to set your own rates
6. Open Ecommerce Store
(Earning potential: around 15-20% or more profit per product)
Since more and more people buy stuff online, e-commerce is a booming industry. And setting up an e-commerce business doesn’t require you to leave your home anymore.
To compete with a vast number of already existing e-commerce stores out there, you’ll need to research the market and choose a niche you’d be targeting.
Shopify, WooCommerce, and Amazon FBA are 3 of the best platforms you can consider for building your e-commerce business.
If you’re more of a crafty person, you can sell your handmade items on Etsy.
- Sell anything and anywehere on Shopify
- Extremely quick way to start your own e-commerce store
- 14 days free trial available
- Thousands of apps available to improve your store
- Easy to set up & maintain your store
- Market to a large audience – 45+ million active Etsy buyers
- Built-in analytics to analyze your performance & make data-driven decisions
- No shop fees
7. Become a Social Media Influencer
(Earn about $88 per Instagram post as a beginner)
If you like sharing your daily life and experiences through social media, becoming a social media influencer might be the best way to make money from home for you.
As a social media influencer, you’d be making money by partnering with brands and promoting their products or services. In exchange for spreading the word about their business, you’ll get paid.
How much you’ll earn per social media post depends on how many followers you have.
Here’s how much you can earn per post based on your follower count:
|Your Follower Count||Earning per Post|
|Up to 10,000||$88|
|10,000 to 100,000||$200|
|100,000 to 1,000,000||$670|
8. Start a Blog
(Unlimited earning potential)
A blog is a great way to make money from home. In fact, there are multiple ways you can make money through a blog.
Ways to monetize your blog:
- Promote affiliate products and get a commission of up to 30% out of each sale made through your link
- Partner with businesses and publish sponsored articles
- Sell advertising space on your website
- Sign up for Google AdSense and let Google place ads throughout your blog
Don’t know what to blog about? Think of what type of content you’d like to create regularly and what expertise you feel comfortable sharing.
Some of the most profitable blog niches include:
9. Create & Publish an eBook
(Earn royalties of up to 70% each month)
If you enjoy writing books, you can now self-publish an ebook and sell it unlimited times.
Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) is a program from Amazon that lets you self-publish your ebook.
Advantages of KDP:
- You don’t have to wait for a traditional publisher to review your work
- Your book won’t get rejected based on the biased opinion of a traditional publisher
- You won’t have to print out hundreds of copies of your book – you can sell an ebook or print on-demand when your hardcover sells
- You can get royalties of up to 70% each month
10. Try Print on Demand (POD)
(Earning potential: around 15-20% profit per product)
Print on demand (POD) is a business model where you promote products with custom design on your website and only printing the products once you receive an order from a customer.
But what printed products can you sell anyway? Here’s the list:
- T-shirts, sweaters, and hoodies
- Shopper bags
- Coffee mugs
- And more
POD eliminates the risk of not getting your products sold.
Where do you sell your POD products?
11. Sell Your Stuff Online
(Turn your unwanted stuff into extra cash)
Selling your stuff online is one of the easiest ways to make money from home. If you’re like most people, you probably have plenty of things at home collecting dust in your storage.
Simply collect things around your house that you’re not using anymore and list them on online platforms like eBay, Facebook Marketplace, and Craigslist.
You can sell literally any item – used clothes, CDs/DVDs, used sports equipment, camera gear, baby stuff, music instruments, tools, and more.
- 171+ million active users – no need to worry about traffic
- Seller protections in place from buyers scams
- Great marketing tools – only pay if you sell your item
- Global brand – instant trust from buyers
12. Invest Money
(Get up to 10% return on your investment annually)
Investing is one of the most profitable ways to generate passive income from home – it’s actually the way wealthy people get wealthier.
Some of the best assets you can invest your money include:
- Real estate
$5 minimum account investment with $1 monthly fee
Invests spare change automatically
Earn up to 5% cash back with a rewards checking account
Start investing with as little as $5
Buy fractional shares of stocks in companies like Amazon or Apple
Only $1 monthly fee (for accounts under $5,000) or 0.25% annual fee for accounts over 5k
High yield (8.6%) on your cryptocurrency deposits
No min withdrawal requirements and no monthly fees
Gemini-insured wallets – $200 million in custody insurance
13. Review Apps & Websites
(Earn on average $10 per test)
App and web developers usually need help testing their apps and websites before they launch them to the public. For you, it’s a great way to make money without leaving home.
To review apps and websites, you’ll be required to thoroughly test them out and provide your feedback to the developer.
For example, when you’re testing a website, you should visit all pages of the site and test all buttons to see how they work. If you find any bug or error, you should notify the developer about it.
The same goes for reviewing an app. You should download the app you’re testing and play around with it to discover any inconsistencies it may have.
14. Get Free Money with Sign Up Bonuses or Friend Referrals
(Get up to $5)
Many money-making online platforms offer welcome bonuses when you sign up and referral commission when your friend joins the platform through your referral.
And what can be easier to make money by just signing up for a platform or sending your friend an invite link?!
Here’s the list of a few platforms offering sign-up and referral bonuses:
|Platform||Type||Sign-up Bonus||Referral Bonus|
|InboxDollars||Online survey site||$5||30% of your friends’ earnings|
|Branded Surveys||Online survey site||$1||$0.5 to $2 per friend|
Note that you may need to complete a few tasks to get a sign-up bonus. E.g., fill out your first survey or make an initial deposit.
$0.50-$3 on average per survey + Branded Elite Program – extra points for active members
Average survey length is 15 min and minimum payout is $10
On average, earn up to $20 each month
Survey times vary – 10 min to 20 min
Surveys are available in 40+ countries
Most surveys pay up to $1. Earn as much as $50 each month
Up to 30% for referred user earnings
Rewards are sent in 24 hours and payout threshold is only $2
15. Get Paid for Staying Healthy
(Win up to $10,000 to lose weight)
If you’re striving for a healthier lifestyle, then getting paid for staying active and meeting your healthy weight goals is a double win.
HealthyWage is one of the best apps that encourages you to achieve your weight loss goal by rewarding you with cash prizes and competitions.
When you first sign up to the platform, you’ll set your weight loss goal and track your daily activities afterward. While HealthyWage doesn’t pay you for completing activities daily, you have a chance to participate in competitions and win up to $10,000 when you meet your health goal.
Healthy Wage Summary
- Meet your weight lost goal and win your prize
- Win up to $10,000 with the next challenge
- Get prizes for achieving step targets
- Possible to participate in multiple challenges
16. Pet Sitting
(Earn on average $12 to $38 per hour)
If you’re obsessed with animals, pet sitting might be the best option to make money. Without leaving your home, you can do pet sitting at your own home.
As an at-home pet sitter, you’d be required to:
- Take care of the pet
- Feed the pet
- Groom the pet
- Play with the pet
Pro tip: To maximize your earnings, onboard multiple pets at a time if you can.
Rover and Wag are 2 of the most popular platforms to find pet parents who need help taking care of their pets when they’re busy.
- Set your own schedule
- Set your own prices
- Earn $20 for a 30-minute walk
- 24/7 support, Including vet assistance
- On average make around $17.50 per walk
- Set your own schedule and manage your services
- Dog owners can tip you via app
- Company donates meals to rescue dogs
17. Rent Your Things
(Rent out anything you’re not using from clothes to a house)
You may have a bunch of stuff stacked up in your closet or storage that you may not be using anymore. So why not turn those stuff into some extra cash?
Here are some ideas of stuff you can rent out for money: