DollarBreak is reader-supported with the goal to become the ultimate practical resource for making money online. When you sign up or buy through links on this post, we may receive compensation. Disclosure.
Fill Online Surveys
18 ways to earn money – fill online surveys, play games, shop online, watch videos, read emails, find bonus points, complete micro tasks and get gift cards
FlexJobs has a rich database of jobs available for every field
It’s particularly easy to sort and find jobs that are most suited for you
FlexJobs guarantees that all its jobs are 100% scam-free
Start a Blog
You can purchase hosting plans on a 1, 3, 6, 12, 24 or 36 months
Up to 60% discounts for purchasing hosting plans for more than 12 months in advance
All plans come with unlimited storage
How to Make a Lot of Money – 19 Proven Ways
1. Real estate
(Start investing with as low as $500)
One of the most profitable ways to make money is to invest in real estate. However, if you don’t want to purchase a property at a full price, Fundrise lets you start investing with as low as $500.
Fundrise is a crowdfunded platform that allows you to buy a share of the property of your choice.
For example, you’re interested in a property that’s worth $100,000. But you don’t want to buy it for the full price. This is where the crowdfunding platform Fundrise comes into play, letting you invest only $1,000 and become 1 of 100 investors who have invested $1,000 in the same property.
When the property gets rented out or sold for profit, you’ll get returns based on how much you’ve invested.
According to Fundrise, you can expect to get an annual return of 8.8% – 12.4% on your investment.
- $500 minimum initial investment
- Historical annual return varies from 8.8% to 12.4%
- Low annual fees: advisory – 0.15% management – 0.85%
- High investment diversity
(Earning potential: up to 7-10% profit of the invested amount per year)
Investing in stocks is one of the most straightforward passive income ideas. However, bear in mind that entering the stock market needs expertise.
Acorns is one of the best companies out there, allowing you to dive into the stock market with as low as a $5 initial investment. The company also offers a round-up system that rounds up each purchase you make with your card and invests the difference into stocks.
With Acorns, you can collect interest from the invested amount at the end of the month. And you can expect to get an annual return of up to 7 to 10%.
- Invests spare change automatically
- $5 sign up bonus
- $5 Min account investment
- Average of 7.5% return on your investments
3. Cryptocurrency (eToro)
(Start investing in cryptocurrency with as little as $50)
With cryptocurrency value skyrocketing, it’s one of the most attractive investments for many.
So how do you get started?
eToro is one of the world’s leading trading platforms that allows you to invest in cryptocurrencies with as little as $50.
The main benefit eToro offers is its social trading option. This feature is especially beneficial if you still have no trading experience. With eToro social trading option, you can follow professional and successful traders and copy their trades. This way, whenever the trader you’re copying profits, you profit as well.
On the other hand, if you’re an experienced trader, you can join the eToro social trading platform and let beginners copy your trades. In return, you’ll get a commission from profits beginner traders made thanks to your strategy.
Be aware that like in any other asset, investing in cryptocurrency contains risk and is highly volatile. That’s why, it’s crucial to make your own research before opening your trading account and depositing your funds.
- 15 cryptocurrencies that you can trade 24/7 – including major coins like Bitcoin, Ripple and Ethereum, but also minor ones like eos, Iota, Tron and Tezos.
- Easy-to-use website and mobile app
- Great community for cryptocurrency traders
- Social trading that allowing you to copy successful traders’ portfolios
Start Your Business
(Earning potential: around 15-20% profit per product)
Dropshipping is one of the most popular ways to earn money online. If you’re new to the dropshipping business, then let me explain. It’s a self-created virtual business structure in which you sell a product to a customer without owning any inventory.
Owning no inventory upfront means a less financial risk for you. If the products don’t sell, you won’t be left with hundreds of products in your storage and negative returns.
Here’s how dropshipping works:
- A customer selects an item from your store and places an order
- You then purchase the item from the vendor and provide them with your customers’ shipping details
- Your vendor ships the item to your customer directly
The whole point of dropshipping is that you’re selling the item at a certain margin that you keep after the sale.
Pro tip: Promote your dropshipping business through Facebook ads, leverage any social media platform your audience might be using, and collaborate with influencers to boost your sales.
5. Sell Items Through Amazon FBA
(Earning potential: around 15-20% profit per product)
Amazon has developed one of the best ways to make money, thanks to its FBA program. This is an extremely impressive method of crowdfunding their inventory from sellers.
On the other hand, Amazon FBA gives you an opportunity to sell your items easily. Signing up for this program allows you to send your inventory to Amazon storage. Once a customer purchases your product through Amazon, Amazon will handle the shipping procedures.
Be aware that Amazon FBA membership comes with certain fees. These include:
- Monthly account fee of $39.99 if you sell more than 40 units per month. If you sell less than that, it’s free.
- A referral fee of 3% to 18% depending on the product category.
- Fulfillment fees – charged per unit Amazon picks, packs, and ships. The amount of this fee depends on the product size and weight.
6. Buy an Existing Business
(Earning potential: varies on the scale of the business)
We’re all conscious of how much money a company can bring in. However, you must start from the ground up and work your way up to the point that you can make a decent profit. If you’re looking for a quick way to make money, consider purchasing an established company.
There are several advantages to purchasing an established company:
- It removes the stress of starting a business from the ground up
- You can avoid all of the common pitfalls that most start-ups face
- It comes with an established client base, established operating expenses, and hired trained personnel
In fact, Warren Buffet made his fortune not only by investing but by buying businesses where his company could add value.
7. Sell Your Online Course
(Earning potential: around $1,000 – $5,000 or more per month)
Selling an online course is one of the low-risk sources of passive income. It allows you to create a course once and sell it unlimited times. And you’re the one determining the price of your course.
You can construct a course of guitar lessons or any programming language if you’re good at it. You may also design courses for other people’s websites.
Here’s the list of some of the most profitable online course categories you can dive in:
- Arts and Crafts
- Computers & Technology
- Business & Entrepreneurship
- Personal Development
- Content Creation
- Career Development
- Health Advice
Pro tip: Research your competitors for inspiration and to craft the best online course possible.
Udemy, Teachable, and Skillshare are the best platforms allowing you to create and sell your online courses easily.
- Udemy markets your courses for you
- Passive income opportunity – you create and publish your course once and it sells for unlimited times
- Leverage the base of over 35 million online learners Udemy has
- Udemy gives you insights into your target market
- One-stop-shop platform helping you create, market and sell your online courses
- Website customization opportunity – you have your custom domain and can choose your website template that matches your course look and feel
- You can offer different payment options (Stripe or PayPal account)
- Course completion certificates are offered on the Professional plan & up
- 2 ways of earning as a teacher – royalties and referrals
- Skillshare has a rich community of engaged students
- You can modify courses you’ve created for other platforms and publish them on Skillshare
- You can create short bite-sized courses (20-60 minutes) which is really easy
8. Sell Your eBook
(Earn royalties of up to 70% each month)
Whether you’re an established writer or just starting in the niche, you can self-publish your book with Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing and sell it unlimited times.
Unlike traditional publishing, self-publishing your book with Amazon KDP doesn’t require a publisher to approve your book for publishing. This eliminates the chances of being rejected based on a biased opinion and lets you profit from your books quicker.
What’s good about Amazon KDP is that it allows you to sell both ebooks and physical books. And if you’re selling a hardcover, you don’t have to have an inventory in advance. Instead, the KDP will print out and ship your book to your customer only after paying for it.
If you’re looking at selling your book as a business, you may also employ professionals to write your book and graphic designers to create eye-catching covers.
9. Start a Blog
(Unlimited earning potential)
Starting a blog is another great way to make a lot of money online. In fact, there are multiple options for you to generate money with your blog.
Ways to monetize your blog:
- Integrate affiliate links into your content and get a commission of up to 30% from each sale made through your website
- Partner with brands directly and publish sponsored content
- Set up Google AdSense and let Google place ads throughout your website
Start a Side Hustle
10. Drive for Lyft
(Average earning potential: $20 – $28 per hour)
If you own a car, companies like Lyft can assist you in developing it into a money-making machine. Lyft is a ridesharing app that allows users to order a car from a nearby location to drive them to their desired location.
What’s good about driving for Lyft is that you’ll be working as an independent contractor. This means you’re free to choose when and how much you want to work.
To become a Lyft rideshare driver, you must:
- Have a valid driving license
- Consent to a background check (Lyft will check your driving and criminal records)
- Own a car or rent one (vehicle must have 4 doors)
- Insurance and other documents
If you don’t have a car, you can hire one with HyreCar – the company that partners with Lyft.
- Earn up to $12,000 per year
- Flexibility to schedule rentals
- Payments within 2 or 3 days
- Up to $25,000 insurance coverage
11. Deliver Food with Instacart
(Earning potential: around $12-16 per hour)
Some people seem to have difficulty scheduling time to go grocery shopping for themselves. As a result, they rely on a service that will purchase their groceries and deliver them to their dwellings.
Thanks to Instacart – a grocery delivery service – you can be one of the personal shoppers.
There are 2 ways you can earn money with Instacart – as a full-time shopper or as an in-store shopper.
|Option||What you have to do||Finances|
|1. Full-service shopper (independent contractor)||1 – Accept the order request
2 – Drive to a specific store
3 – Collect the items in the order
4 – Deliver the order to your customers’ doorsteps
|Get paid weekly.
Earn $7 – $10 per order.
|2. In-store shopper (Instacart employee)||Be in the store and prepare customer orders for them to pick up.||Get paid monthly.
- Earn up to $20 per hour
- Bonus opportunities
- Weekly payments
- Flexible schedule
(Earning potential: up to $200 per hour)
Businesses from around the world are on the lookout for talents and experts in various industries. So whether you’re good at marketing, graphic design, computer sciences, or just administrative work, you can make money freelancing.
If you’re still unsure what freelance means, let me explain. A freelance job is any job that doesn’t employ you. Instead, you’re an expert in the niche, and businesses would order certain professional services from you. Accordingly, you’ll get paid per-project basis and be flexible in your working schedule and location.
Some of the most popular freelance jobs include:
|Freelance Job||Average Pay|
|Web Developer||$30 – $180 per hour|
|UX/UI Designer||$25 – $75 per hour|
|Copywriter||$50+ per hour|
|SEO Specialist||$33 per hour|
|Video Editor||$30 – $150 per hour|
|Graphic Designer||$27 per hour|
|Cybersecurity Specialist||$200 per hour|
|Digital Marketer||$50 – $100 per hour|
|Consultant||$100 per hour|
|Virtual Assistant (VA)||$10 – $15 per hour|
|Customer Support||$10 – $15 per hour|
Upwork and Fiverr are 2 of the best platforms to find freelance jobs.
- You’re selling a service at the price you set and not your time
- Remain anonymous – Fiverr allows you to remain anonymous and don’t reveal any personal or contact information of yours
- Upsell opportunities. You can increase your Fiverr earnings by offering your clients upsells. E.g. you can offer less delivery time for additional payment
- Seller protection. Fiverr ensures your and your funds’ security on the platform and helps you resolve the case with fraudulent clients
Rent Out Your Belongings
13. Spare Bedroom or Entire Place (Airbnb)
(E.g., 1-bedroom apartment in NYC could earn you $151/night)
Whether you have a spare bedroom, apartment, or an entire place, you could rent it out and get a monthly income.
Airbnb is a great option to consider listing your residential space as it’s a go-to website for many travelers looking for accommodation.
If your home is near famous tourist attractions, you might earn large sums of money.
- 30+ million of users in USA alone
- Set your own prices
- Rent the place when you want
- Meet interesting people
14. Storage Space
(Earn up to $10,000+ per year)
Traditional self-storage units can be expensive at times. Plus, they’re frequently located away from suburban areas and near industrial areas. Many people may find it difficult to transport their belongings from their homes to industrial areas on a regular basis.
This is where Neighbor.com comes into play, allowing you to rent out your unused storage space to people who need it.
Storage places you can rent out through Neighbor include:
How much you’ll earn through Neighbor.com depends on your location and the size of your storage place. However, you can expect to earn on average up to $10,000 per year.
- No listing fees – earn up to $10000+ per year
- Chance to screen potential renters
- Ability to require photo ID
- $1M Host Guarantee also protects hosts for personal liability.
(E.g., earn $56 per day with the 2010 BMW 3 Series)
Renting out your car can be a quick way to make money. So if you have a vehicle that’s in good condition, but you’re not using it much, you can put it to work for you and generate passive income.
Turo is one of the best platforms to list your car on. The platform allows you to set your own daily price for the vehicle. Alternatively, you can let the Turo automatic pricing feature set the price for your rental car for you.
Note that the daily price of the vehicle will depend on various factors, such as:
- Type of the vehicle
- Make and model of your car
- Year of manufacturing
- Your car’s condition
For example, a 2010 BMW 3 Series could earn you $56 per day. That’s $1,400 per month if you rent it out for 25 days only.
Pro tip: Use a Turo Calculator to estimate potential earnings before you start to list your car on the platform.
Another great way to make money with your car is to rent your car’s exterior space for advertising. Simply sign up with Wrapify and let the professionals wrap up your car in advertisement banners. All you need to do to earn money is to continue using your car like you usually would.
When it comes to earning potential, Wrapify claims that you can earn anywhere between $150 to $450 each month depending on the campaign and the distance you’ve driven.
- You can earn extra cash just by your usual everyday commute.
- There are no signup or registration fees that you have to pay.
- Once the campaign is over, you can have the wrap taken off and get started with another campaign right away.
- Wrapify doesn’t damage your car. Once the wrap is taken off, your car is in its original condition.
16. Various Stuff
(Earning potential: depends on the item you are renting)
There’s a lot of stuff around your house that you can rent out to earn some extra cash.
For example, if you are married and have a wedding outfit, you can lend your wedding dress or tux. There are so many people who either can’t afford or don’t want to spend a lot on their wedding outfits.
But wedding clothing isn’t the only thing you can rent out for money.
There are a lot of other things you can rent. For example, you can rent a DSLR camera, Lens, Tripod, etc., to photographers. Likewise, if you have any, you can rent your drone for the day to film crews to grab some decent shots from the above for their footage.
Here’s the list of some of the items you can rent out:
Sell Your Stuff
17. Sell Your Car
(Earning potential: depends on the model and condition of the car)
Whether you’re upgrading your car or don’t need it anymore, it’s a good idea to sell it to car buying companies or through your local car dealership.
Peddle is one of the best car-buying companies that accept cars in any condition, including damaged, junk, and even scrap.
- Buys used, damaged or junk car nationwide
- Get instant quote on (855) 925 4302
- Free towing within 48 hours after offer
- Receive payment upon car collection
If you want to sell your car privately and get the best price deal, you should do some research on it first:
- Research the price of your car’s particular model
- Set a price
- You can negotiate (if you want to sell it yourself) and show off your car with confidence
- If the customer’s price falls within your price range, seal the deal
If you sell your car to a car-buying company or a dealer, they will usually inspect it and give you a reasonable price.
18. Sell Your House
(Earning potential: depends on the house scale, location, and condition)
Real estate is one of the best ways to make a lot of money. So if you’re moving into a new apartment or a house, you could sell your older property for cash.
Remember, the price of your property will depend on various factors, including:
- The type of the property – an apartment or a house
- The location of your property
- Neighborhood of your property
- Condition of your property
19. Sell the Stuff You Don’t Use
(Earning potential: depends on the items that are going to be sold)
Wondering “what I can sell to make money” but can’t locate something that works for you? Then selling your belongings might be your best choice.
If you’re unemployed and need funds, selling your stuff can be an easy way to get some cash in your wallet.
However, this does not have to be the scenario. You can sell your stuff regardless of your financial situation and declutter your home at the same time.
Simply go around your house, find stuff you’re not using anymore, and list them online for sale.
For example, you can get rid of the following stuff in exchange for extra cash: